One-On-One Yearly Eye Exams
The Importance of an Annual Eye Exam
Your eyes continually change, which is why the American Optometry Association recommends an annual eye exam to ensure your overall eye health is in good shape. Yearly eye exams not only check your vision, but more importantly, help detect eye health issues. At Pearle Vision, our eye care experts will take the time to ask you the right questions, so they can give you the quality of care you deserve.
How Eye Exams Can Help Detect Serious Health Issues
Many people don’t realize the importance of an annual eye exam. Having 20/20 vision doesn’t necessarily mean your eyes are perfectly healthy. Often, serious eye diseases don’t show any signs or symptoms. Having an eye doctor check your eyes yearly can help detect concerns early on and prevent complications. A yearly eye check-up can help you to identify and avoid common eye diseases, like:
- Glaucoma: A condition in which the pressure inside your eyes increases. Glaucoma can damage the optic nerve, causing tunnel vision and pain if not treated. Early detection is key to minimizing eye damage. Symptoms will vary, but many people will not experience any pain or symptoms until vision loss has occurred.
- Cataracts: A medical condition where the lens of the eye becomes cloudy over time. Cataracts is the most common cause of vision loss in the United States. Luckily, vision loss caused by cataracts can be treated. Your Pearle Vision optometrist can refer you to a specialist for treatment.
- Diabetic Eye Disease: A diabetes complication that damages the blood vessels in the retina. People with diabetic retinopathy may not experience any symptoms until vision loss occurs. This is the leading cause of blindness in adults. Permanent vision loss may occur if untreated.
At Pearle Vision, our optometrists can administer a series of tests to help detect early signs of these conditions. Don’t wait until symptoms begin appearing to visit your eye doctor. Early prevention is key to keeping your eyes healthy and your vision clear.
Help Your Children Succeed in School
Did you know 1 in 4 children has an undiagnosed vision issue? And for Hispanic children that number climbs to 40%. Making sure your children are receiving proper eye care can greatly impact how they learn and perform in school. Scheduling routine eye exams for your children can help ensure their eyesight is developing correctly and treat common eyesight problems, like:
Many children are incorrectly diagnosed with behavioral or learning disabilities, when the problem is actually their poor vision. An eye exam can help uncover this issue.
Visit our Children's Eye Care page to learn how often kids should get an eye exam and tips for keeping their eyes healthy.
Other Reasons to See an Optometrist
If you’re continuously experiencing any of the following eye problems, you should visit your neighbourhood Pearle Vision optometrist immediately:
- Decreased vision
- Redness of the eye
- Excessive/constant watering of eyes
- Eye pain
- Double or blurry vision
- Tiny speck appearing to float in front of your eyes
- Circles or halos around lights
- Computer eye strain
While some symptoms may be the result of exhaustion or fatigue, others could be a sign of a more serious eye condition. If issues like blurred vision persist, it is recommended you see one of our eye care experts for diagnosis and treatment.
Our Comprehensive Eye Exam
Our eye care experts are dedicated to making the eye care process easier for you, so you can walk out with all the tools you need to keep your vision sharp and your eyes healthy. Our eye exams last about 20-30 minutes and include:
- A Review of Your Patient History: During this time your doctor may ask about your family history, any symptoms you are experiencing and medications you are taking.
- Eye and Vision Examination: Tests will vary depending on the patient, but the most common to expect are visual acuity, ocular movement tests and a health check of your eyes.
- Optional Contact Lens Testing: Patients who wish to use contact lenses instead of eyeglasses will have to complete additional tests to ensure the lenses fit correctly and what material is best for their eyes. Furthermore, your eye doctor can go over a proper wearing schedule for your lenses.
Is it time for your annual exam? Book an appointment today at your neighbourhood Pearle Vision EyeCare Centre and get the care you need.